Naturopathic Cancer Support Program
What is cancer?
Cancer is a generic term for a large group of diseases that can affect any part of the body. Other terms used are malignant tumours and neoplasms. One defining feature of cancer is the rapid creation of abnormal cells that grow beyond their usual boundaries, and which can then invade adjoining parts of the body and spread to other organs, the latter process is referred to as metastasizing. Metastases are the major cause of death from cancer.
The hallmarks of cancer (2011):
1. Self-sufficiency in growth signals.
2. Insensitivity to anti-growth signals.
3. Tissue invasion & metastasis.
4. Limitless replicative potential.
5. Sustained angiogenesis.
6. Evading apoptosis.
7. Deregulating cellular energetics.
8. Avoiding immune destruction.
9. Tumour promoting inflammation.
10. Genome instability and mutation.
What are the causes?
Cancer arises from one single cell. The transformation from a normal cell into a tumour cell is a multistage process, typically a progression from a pre-cancerous lesion to malignant tumours. These changes are the result of the interaction between a person's genetic factors and 3 categories of external agents, including:
physical carcinogens, such as ultraviolet and ionizing radiation;
chemical carcinogens, such as asbestos, components of tobacco smoke, aflatoxin (a food contaminant) and arsenic (a drinking water contaminant); and
biological carcinogens, such as infections from certain viruses, bacteria or parasites.
Chronic mental and emotional stress may contribute to disease developments as well by weaken the immune system. According to psychoneuroadrenoimmunology pathway, the stress in our mind may negatively affect our hormonal and immune functions.
What is Naturopathy?
Naturopathy is a holistic healing system that believes human has an innate self-healing ability and if given the right support will brings health and balance in life. Naturopathy incorporates a broad range of natural therapies such as diet & lifestyle advice, nutritional supplements, herbal medicine, Bach flower remedies, aromatherapy, therapeutic massage, acupuncture and other natural therapies.
What Are the Aims of Naturopathic Cancer Support Program?
Natural therapies are not treating the cancer itself directly. We treat the person, not the illness. We help the client to create an environment which is not conducive for the cancer to exist and we promote client’s general wellness.
Our aim is to improve your quality of life, extend your life expectancy, support your own innate healing ability (immune system) to heal the cancer, prevent future recurrence and help to manage your symptoms and side effects from medical oncology treatments.
Based on the known hallmarks of cancer and its possible causes, we formulate the following 10 steps program to improve your prognosis:
1. Identify the possible causes of cancer and avoid them.
2. Advice healthy lifestyle and exercise.
3. Optimise healthy diet and nutritional status.
4. Improve client’s vitality and energy level.
5. Improve immune function.
6. Improve detoxification process.
7. Prevent metastasis.
8. Manage stress by providing mental, emotional, spiritual support.
9. Manage cancer symptoms and side effects of medical oncology treatments.
10. Reduce the possibility of future recurrence.
The Naturopathic Cancer Support Program involves multi-discipline natural therapies to support your whole wellbeing:
- Diet modifications
- Herbal medicine
- Nutritional supplements
- Gentle exercise i.e. yoga
- Energy healing
- Positive affirmations
- Holistic counselling & coaching
- Meditation & relaxation
- Hyperthermia therapy
The Advantages of doing Naturopathic Cancer Support Program at Karuna Holistic Wellness Centre
- Our program is supervised by a Naturopath and a Medical Doctor with a team of other qualified holistic therapists and yoga instructors.
- We only use natural medicines and holistic therapies which have supporting evidences of their usage in cancer support treatments worldwide.
- We use high quality natural remedies.
- We approach each client with holistic health perspective.
- We provide the treatments at a place conducive for your healing process.
- Naturopathic Cancer Support Program is intended to complement your medical oncology treatments.
- Please inform your doctor if you are taking any natural medicines to avoid any negative interactions.
- Please do not stop or alter the dosage of any prescribed medication without prior consultation with the doctor who prescribe it.
“In Naturopathy, although taking the herbal medicine & supplements are beneficial, but that’s not all.
The true holistic healing is when you support the innate healing ability of your Vital Force by improving your diet and lifestyle, live in tune with Mother Nature and the Great Spirit. Therefore you’ll experience vibrant health in your body, mind & soul.”
(Joshua S. Lie)